Sunday, March 30, 2014

A broken drive shaft boot

 
Its about 5 years since I drive and Isis and I have confidence in Toyota made car as it doesn't give much problem during this ownership but if its a car, it will need to service and some parts will require repair. During my last visit to the tire shop for changes of tires, I spotted some oil and grease on the left lower arm of the front suspension. Since the amount is not great, I think that it is serious and drive the car for another 5k.
However during my routine 10k service, the mechanic had advice me to have a look at the drive shaft boots of the car, the grease are leaking badly and needed a replacement of the drive shaft boots at it is loose and getting crack. So I asked for a quotation for the replacement parts. What the quotation given by the shops almost make me fall of my chair. I only need the drive shaft boots to be replaced but the shop said that they only sell the drive shaft as a whole which cost me 2k for the entire drive shaft. In my mind, why dont I just drive the car until the drive shaft broken then only I replace it ? With that I bid farewell to the shop and went to my trusty sparepart shop for advice. The shopkeeper told me that there are OEM boots for sale and it doesn't cost me 2k for it and I paid around 100+ for 4 drive shaft boots plus 2 gearbox oil seal.

 
The next day, I sent back the car to the mechanics for it to be fix and it cost me another 200+ for the entire job done. If you are having problem with drive shaft, then just buy the OEM boots and original oil seal for the job. A rubber boot still a rubber boots!

Parts number for drive shaft boots (left n right):-
FB-2117M (Brand : OHNO) - outter
FB-2120M (Brand : OHNO) - inner

Parts number for oil seal :-
90311-35054
90311-35045

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will remove post with contact number inside to protect the privacy of all.
    Hope you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoy reading ur blog.btw I am also a proud owner of Isis and have been driving this car close to 9years come November. I would say awesome and reliable.no major breakdown at all(touch wood) except for the absorber which I changed once in 2010. By the way I have a question to pose.

    Do you know of any other brand absorber besides Toyota brand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many others brand in the market, you can always use the same suspension setting for Toyota Wish. It is the same platform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, does the broken drive shaft boot causes sounds like metal hitting metal. Also does anyone that is using the Isis 2.0 CVT having jerking issues to it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Broken boot will not sound like metal hitting metal. It is more like rubber flapping sound and it only happen when steering at an angle and not straight. Try changing your cvt oil and reset the ecu and check whether the jerking issue still persist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can buy the parts from local toyota parts seller. I bought mine via local toyota parts seller.

    ReplyDelete
  10. why paid around 100+ for 4 drive shaft boots plus 2 gearbox oil seal?

    front right and left, not only 2??
    now hard to find the parts. called many shop dont have.
    necessary to get back OHno brand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each drive shaft have 2 boots…..one connect to the wheel and one connect to the gearbox hence 2x2 = 4
    You need to check with the shop for OEM parts..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your car is toyota isis, classis ZNM10 (1ZZFE) ?
    been told by the toyota dealer part number been replaced to 04438-12481 OEM (inner & outter) $85-$90 diff shop offer
    $85x2 = $170

    These Ohno fit your car well? stop production for these parts.
    FB-2117M (Brand : OHNO) - outter 04438-12170
    FB-2120M (Brand : OHNO) - inner 04438-20132

    why oil seal have to be diff part number?
    ($8-$10 each diff shop offer)
    Parts number for oil seal :-
    90311-35054
    90311-35045

    $170+ ($8*2)total cost about $186, called johor labour charge about rm100x2 (both side- need half days to be done) = est $260

    VS

    called sg local shop for quotation: labour with OEM parts also $280 (est 2hours can be done) wondering this shop really provided OEM parts, previously sent my car for services provided those unlabel (no model nos indicated) air filter and cabin filter.

    May I know how long for your drive shaft boots change been done? est 2 hours enough?

    last for how long? till now ok? my car also oil leaking, then found out out that drive shaft been broken like 1/3 since 1years ago. till now, drive slowly I dont feel any problem. wondering how often to get replacement for drive shaft.

    sorry, many questions here. found that your blog really helpful. learn a lot from you. thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Changing of drive shaft boots or replacement of drive shaft will take a long time, 2 hours is not enough.

    ReplyDelete